Three men, aged 19, 22 and 28, jointly charged with the murder of south Auckland woman Meliame Fisi'ihoi have made their first appearance at Manukau District Court.
The 22-year-old and 28-year-old also face a charge each of causing grevious bodily harm to a person and discharging a firearm at three people in Favona on December 4, 2019.
All three appeared separately before the court.
They have been remanded in custody until their next appearance at the High Court in Auckland on May 5, where they are expected to enter pleas.
A large group of people were in the public gallery for the trio's appearance.
The three accused each acknowledged the group before being remanded into police custody.
Fisi'ihoi was watching TV in the sitting room when she got up to check a noise she heard outside her Favona home in January last year.
She was shot through a window near the front door about 2.45am. It is understood her killing was a case of mistaken identity.
"We hope the arrest today provides Mrs Fisi'ihoi's family with some degree of comfort following what has been an extremely difficult time for them," said Detective Senior Sergeant Karen Bright.
"We want to thank the Favona community for their co-operation during this investigation and hope they are also comforted by these developments."
Police said their commitment to the investigation - which has been ongoing since the death in January last year - has "never wavered".
"We were always confident that arrests would ultimately be made. However, some investigations are more complex and challenging than others and can take a significant amount of time and effort to resolve," Bright said.
Fisi'ihoi, 57, would have celebrated her birthday in June and would have spent another year doting on her grandchildren - one born just a month after she was shot dead on Calthorp Close, in Favona, on January 15, 2020.
Bright also paid tribute to the hard work and dedication shown by officers who worked on the homicide investigation, which was dubbed Operation Truro.
Police released new CCTV footage and images in December of a car described as "a vehicle of interest" to the investigation.
Images of the blurred black BMW 320i sedan (2005-2009 model) captured minutes after the shooting were issued publicly in October.
Two of the men in court today have also been charged in relation to a shooting that happened at the same property on December 4, 2019.
Neighbours described seeing an injured man gasping for air as he was held up by two men trying to get him out into a ute after another vehicle had just fled the scene.
"I heard a: 'Bang, bang, bang!' I thought it was Guy Fawkes," one neighbour told the Herald at the time.
"I looked outside and have seen two guys running into a car.
"I could hear that guy that got shot panting. They loaded him into a ute that was parked on the grass there and left."