A man has been charged with the manslaughter of Neville Butler, just over seven months since Butler died in a Rotorua flat.
A 26-year-old man is to appear in the Rotorua District Court this morning charged with causing Butler's death last year by assaulting him.
Butler, 37, was found in a Steeles Lane flat in the Rotorua suburb of Western Heights on September 26.
Police have previously said an ambulance was called but Butler was dead when paramedics arrived.
Police began an investigation, calling it a "suspicious death".
Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Van Kempen has confirmed to the Rotorua Daily Post police have now arrested a man.
He said police inquiries were continuing.
"There will be no further comment now this is before courts."
Butler's family and partner have previously said it was hard having to wait for police to complete their investigation.
Butler's partner, Dana Corbett, said she and the family were pleased there had been an arrest but it didn't make the grieving process any easier.
"It's not changed anything for me. At the end of the day he is still gone."
She said the family remained close and got together regularly to remember Butler, the latest occasion being on April 29, which would have been his 38th birthday.
Corbett said they went to the home of Butler's mother's, Julie Donner, and had food and drink and visited his grave together at the cemetery.
"We have still been having good times, opening up and crying. We all miss him terribly and it still hurts us."
She said Butler was missed a lot by his nieces and nephews and in particular his mother, who was suffering from a health condition.
"I have seen tears from her eyes so many times. She's not only in pain on the inside but on the outside as well. He was her rock."