The oldest member of a South Waikato family struck down by suspected botulism poisoning has begun to mouth words, a spokesman says.
Shibu Kochummen, 35, his wife Subi Babu, 33, and his mother Alekutty Daniel, 62, ate a wild boar curry for dinner two weeks ago at their Putaruru home.
Within minutes of eating, Babu and Daniel collapsed, vomiting. Kochummen called an ambulance but collapsed while on the phone.
The trio have been in a serious but stable condition in Waikato Hospital ever and at the weekend Daniel became "slightly responsive", having co-ordinated eye movement and the ability to focus.
"No one has spoken but we are beginning to get focus on movement," family spokesman Joji Varghese earlier told the Herald.
He confirmed today that Daniel was now beginning to mouth words but she wasn't yet talking.
Subi Babu was also making progress but not as much as her mother-in-law.
Shibu Kochummen has yet to respond.
Varghese said doctors did not know if Daniel's ability to follow an object with her eyes meant she was comprehending yet and they were still awaiting results of tests being conducted in Brisbane to definitively diagnose botulism.
The couple's daughter will return to school in Putaruru and stay with a friend whose parent is a teacher at her school, Varghese said.