Two women have appeared in court this morning charged with kidnapping an 11-day-old baby girl from her Auckland home.
The 18-year-old woman and a 21-year-old woman appeared before Community Magistrate Jan Holmes in the Auckland District Court charged with kidnapping and burglary. They were granted interim name suppression.
The 18-year old was remanded without plea on bail until August 31. She has been a resident of Australia for seven to eight months and was ordered to surrender her passport. She was also ordered not to go within 2km of Pah Rd in Epsom, where she allegedly kidnapped the baby yesterday, restricted to a 7am to 7pm curfew, and told not to associate with her alleged co-offender.
She was in New Zealand for a holiday, the court heard.
Her parents were also in court for the hearing.
The 21-year-old was remanded in custody until later today.
The court heard that the 21-year-old was "extremely unwell" and required hospital treatment.
She was also granted interim name suppression by Holmes.
A heavy police presence was seen at the Pah Rd house all day yesterday where the baby was taken from.
Detective Inspector Scott Beard said police were told a baby had been kidnapped about 7am.
The girl was found safe and returned to her parents about 1.30pm.
"The baby's parents are obviously very distraught and have been through a terrible ordeal and they are currently with their baby," Beard said yesterday.
"This has been an extremely harrowing time for the new parents of a very young baby. We are relieved and thankful that the baby was not harmed and has been reunited with her parents."