Three people have been treated for smoke inhalation after fire engulfed a large Auckland home today.
The blaze tore through the two-storey Roberts Rd home in Glenfield just before 11am.
A Fire Service spokesman said it was well ablaze when four crews arrived at the North Shore property after multiple calls to emergency services.
Fire crews are still at the scene.
Neighbour Brenton Bennett said he was sitting on his back deck with his wife when they first noticed smoke.
"My wife shot up and said 'the house is on fire!'"
Bennett ran towards the home to help his neighbours while also calling the Fire Service on his cellphone at 10.53am.
"The smoke coming out of the house was toxic ... it was all just billowing out of the garage door."
He said five people were in the home at the time, including a family with two boys.
All had escaped the house before the fire grew.
"The flames were licking out from below. Windows were exploding.
"It's quite scary being up close. Basically everything they own is toast ... I'm just really gutted for them."
He said two sons lived with their parents at the home.
One son and his girlfriend were treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital along with the father.
Neighbour Hannah McCall said she was first alerted to the blaze by the family's "loud" fire alarm.
She said thick black smoke soon started pouring from the house.
The occupants of the home did not wish to comment when approached by the Herald.
The property was left extensively damaged.