The man accused of forcing his way into a 65-year-old woman's Porirua home and raping her has pleaded guilty to rape.
Peter Niko, 40, from Johnsonville, also had his name suppression lifted when he appeared at the Porirua District Court this morning.
He pleaded guilty to seven charges of sexual violation, making the woman unconscious with intent to commit rape, threatening to kill her and detaining her without consent.
Niko pleaded not guilty to unlawfully entering her property.
The victim had been home alone when Niko knocked on her door claiming to be looking for his daughter just after 6am on June 17.
He subjected the woman to a prolonged sexual attack.
Police launched a manhunt after the assault, including an extensive door-to-door push for information.
Kapiti Mana area commander Paul Basham said after the man's arrest he was tracked down through "good old-fashioned police work".
When Niko left the dock today, he faced the public gallery and said: "I'm sorry guys, I'm sorry."
Niko has been remanded in custody until next month.
When he appeared in court last month, his lawyer, Nick Chisnall, had a message from the man, which he said police were aware of.
"[He] has asked me to advise the court, and really this is for the benefit of the complainant ... he has no wish in this case to prolong the matter any longer than necessary."