A stand-off with an armed gunman who allegedly shot four police officers at a Bay of Plenty farmhouse has ended.

Four police officers were hospitalised, one in a serious condition, after being shot during a cannabis operation in Kawerau.

Gunman arrested after 22-hour stand-off with police

The armed offender was holed up inside the property until the police made an arrest this morning.


What we know

• Four police officers were shot
• One remains in hospital in a serious but stable condition, two have been discharged, and the fourth will undergo further treatment for a gunshot wound to his hand
• Gunman arrested after 22-hour stand-off with police
• Confirmation came from police just after 9am
• Cordons was in place at Onepu Spring Road
• Shots were fired at a police plane flying overhead
• A no-fly zone was been put in place
• A police negotiation team is at the scene
• Defence force staff and Special Tactics Group officers brought in

10.45am: Police hear three shots in the Otakiri area in the Bay of Plenty during an operation using a plane.

11.30am: Police cordon off a rural property on Onepu Springs Rd, Kawerau after another shot is fired at the plane, which is believed to have been searching for cannabis crops.

1pm: The Armed Offenders Squad arrive in Kawerau after being called out from Rotorua.

3.45pm: Police confirm three officers have been shot. A large police operation is underway at the property, where the gunman is believed to be holed up.

4.15pm: Two Rotorua officers arrive at Whakatane Hospital. A third officer is airlifted to Rotorua Hospital.

5.40pm: Police confirm a fourth officer has been shot.

6pm: Police hold a media briefing at National Headquarters in Wellington confirming they are only looking for one shooter.

7pm: Police announce a defence helicopter has been deployed to the scene along with three light armoured vehicles.

7.25pm: Police say a 3 mile radius no-fly zone has been established around the area.

8.50pm: Police Commissioner Mike Bush confirmed he is en route back to New Zealand.

6.30am: Police say the situation remains unchanged overnight with no further shots fired.

9:00am: Police confirm a man has been arrested.