Christchurch City Council has won back its accreditation as a building consent authority almost 18 months after it was stripped for holding up the earthquake-hit region's rebuild.

The International Accreditation New Zealand (IANZ) in July last year revoked the council's accreditation after it failed to improve its consenting process as the city's rebuild began to gather momentum.

But today IANZ confirmed the council has met the requirements of the Building (Accreditation of Building Consent Authorities) Regulations 2006.

Mayor Lianne Dalziel said regaining accreditation is an important part of the council's role in the rebuild.

Advertisement

"Regaining accreditation is a real milestone not only for the council but also for the city," Ms Dalziel said.

"People who rely on our building control group to issue consents and to inspect buildings in a timely and effective manner can be reassured by the granting of accreditation.

"It signals confidence in our ability to make decisions and implement the changes necessary for the rebuild."

Crown manager Doug Martin, who was brought in to improve the building consent function at the council, will end his appointment as planned on December 31.

Mr Martin will provide a report to the Minister of Building and Housing, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister and Minister of Local Government explaining lessons from his appointment as well as offering guidance on opportunities for policy development. The report is due early next year.

IANZ plans to do a standard accreditation assessment of the council next August.