The Fire Service responded to 60 firework-related calls across the country last night, yet none caused any significant injuries.

Northern Fire Communications shift manager Jaron Phillips said the 60 calls were received between 6pm and 6am and 22 occurred in Auckland.

At around 9.45pm last night, Christchurch fire crews responded to a house in Aylmer St in Somerfield, he said.

"That's been caused by fireworks, there was a fire in the roof cavity of this house."


The house had one elderly female occupant who was later checked over by ambulance crews, Mr Phillips.

Auckland fire crews responded to a house fire in Harania Ave in Favona which was caused by fireworks which ignited a pile of rubbish stacked on the side of the house, he said.

In Hamilton, a house fire in Patterson St in Frankton at 10.10pm was initially reported as a fire on top of the house's roof, Mr Phillips said.

"But then we received a number of calls saying that the house was on fire. Everyone was accounted for."

Four fire crews were called to the fire and firefighters gained entry to the roof area to stop the fire spreading to adjoining flats, he said.

A fire service investigator was looking into the cause of the fire.

6 Nov, 2014 9:30am
2 minutes to read

A Central Fire Communications spokeswoman said they responded to 13 fireworks-related callouts last night, most of which involved bonfires.

"I think the weather might have had something to play in that."

Southern Fire Communications shift manager Tim Reynolds said they responded to 14 firework-related calls overnight.

"We had a reasonable-sized vegetation fire in Stoke, in the Nelson area overnight.

The fire started around 10.30pm and spread through a 50 by 50 metre block of pine trees, Mr Reynolds said.

"It was what we call 'second alarm', so they were there for some time at the scene."

Rural fire crews stayed at the scene until around 2.30am, he said.

Christchurch crews also responded to a heavily smoke-logged industrial building at Prebble Seeds, he said.