A Singapore Airlines pilot has admitted causing a high-speed crash that has left a colleague fighting for his life in hospital.

Benjamin Yonghao Wu, 32, has been charged with two counts of reckless driving causing injury after a crash with a 4WD towing a horse float at the intersection of Weedons Ross Rd and Maddisons Rd, near Rolleston, south of Christchurch on Wednesday.

Two people were hurt, one critically, after two vehicles collided in Canterbury today.One person was believed to be in a critical condition and another was seriously injured, police said. One vehicle was towing a horse float. The horse was believed to be uninjured. The police serious crash unit is at the scene and diversions are in place. A Singapore Airlines spokeswoman confirmed that some staff were involved in the crash.

The car's occupants were a group of five Singapore Airlines crew members.

Singapore Airlines chief steward Chew Weng Wai is today still in a critical condition with brain injuries in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) at Christchurch Hospital, a District Health Board spokeswoman confirmed to APNZ.


Stewardess Vanessa Leonara Savio Coehlo is in a stable condition in a general ward following surgery.

Two passengers were unhurt and have "returned home", police say.

A Singapore Airlines spokesman said today: "Our priority has not changed, which is to provide our staff and their families the highest standard of care and assistance. However, due to our privacy policy, we are unable to disclose any further details about our staff."

At Christchurch District Court today, Wu, of Singapore, appeared in the dock to plead guilty to both reckless driving causing injury charges.

Defence counsel Kerry Cook asked for sentencing to proceed today.

He is staying at a city hotel and with "a significant amount of effort" he has brought $15,000 into New Zealand which he hopes will be offered as emotional harm compensation to the "split between the two [victims] as the court sees fit".

Singapore Airlines flew the victims' and pilot's families to NZ.

Police however asked for a delay in sentencing to find out the exact conditions of the two victims. Police prosecutor sergeant Glenn Pascoe said one victim "might still pass away".


Police also wanted more time to get more information from the family of victims before sentence.

Judge Jane McMeeken adjourned the case until Monday, "with a view to sentencing on that date", but warned it still might not happen on that day.

Police have Wu's passport, and he was bailed on the condition he would not drive a motor vehicle and not travel outside Christchurch.

A Singapore Airlines spokeswoman said: "Our immediate concern is for the welfare of our staff and we shall accord them and their families the highest standard of care and assistance, which is practicable."

The crash came amid a spate of serious crashes on Canterbury roads, including three fatal crashes in as many days.

King Wai Yip, a 66-year old Hong Kong national, was killed in a head-on collision on the Geraldine-Fairlie Highway on Tuesday.

Police said a driver was believed to have crossed the centre line. Charges of careless driving causing death and injury were likely to follow.

On Monday, cyclist Ming-Chih Hsieh, a 33-year-old overseas tourist, was killed in a crash with a truck.

The following day, Leithfield 19-year old Aaron Thomson-Clark, also known as Aaron James, died in a crash at Waikuku, 30km north of Christchurch.