Six people were treated for smoke inhalation following a fire at a high school in Dunedin this morning.

Fire services spokesman Riwai Grace said they were called to Logan Park High School shortly after 9am.

Mr Grace said the fire was caused by a paper dispenser that was set on fire.

"Upon arrival there was a lot of smoke in one of the hallways."

Advertisement

He said six patients were taken to Dunedin Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire services have now left the scene, Mr Grace said.