The wife of a man crushed between two trucks near Auckland airport this morning is by his bedside as he remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Emergency services were called to a commercial premises in Laurence Stevens Drive at Auckland Airport about 4.45am this morning where the man was found between two trucks.

It appeared the man had been trapped for some time before being found, police said.

Fire and ambulance staff administered CPR and worked for some time to stabilise the man before he was taken to Middlemore Hospital in a critical condition.


LSG Sky Chefs NZ general manager Jaap Roest said the injured man was a warehouse employee who was "getting a vehicle ready for use" when the incident occurred.

"We are hoping our colleague will be ok. We're investigating what happened."

The injured man was working by himself at the time, however there were other LSG employees in the area, Mr Roest said.

He denied the man was trapped for a length of time before emergency services were notified, but said the details of exactly what happened were subject to investigation.

"There were other people in the building and apparently another employee heard it happen and went to assist him straight away."

The man was crushed by a small, refrigerated vehicle used to deliver food to petrol stations and other external customers around Auckland, Mr Roest said.

"The truck moved into another parked truck and our employee was in-between."

The man was an employee of a company recently purchased by LSG and had worked for the company since 2012, Mr Roest said.

The man's wife, who also worked for LSG, and two other employees from the company were at the hospital supporting them, he said.

The company was holding meeting with employees to discuss the incident, he said.

A Counties Manukau DHB spokeswoman said the man remains in a critical condition at Middlemore Hospital.

WorkSafe NZ, the Government department responsible for workplace accidents, said they had been notified of the incident and were investigating.

The police serious crash unit was also investigating.

The incident comes just a month after Lupton Carriers employee Simon Melgren died after being crushed between two trucks at his workplace in Henderson.

The 56-year-old was survived by his three teenage children of whom he had sole care since their mother Rhondda died in June 2009.

Service and Food Workers Union spokeswoman Andrea Rushton said although the man injured in today's incident wasn't a union member, many of his co-workers were and were "obviously shaken up by it". They were being supported by Victim Support, she said.