Bryan Guy has told the murder trial of his son-in-law Ewen Macdonald of the dreadful call on the day his son Scott Guy was murdered.

Macdonald, 32, is on trial at the High Court at Wellington for the murder of his brother-in-law on July 8, 2010.

Mr Guy was shot dead at the end of his driveway near Feilding after he stopped to open a gate. He died from wounds to his neck, face and arm.

Macdonald has pleaded not guilty to the charge, and his lawyer Greg King says someone else committed the crime.


Mr Guy spoke at the trial today, telling the court that he was at home alone in Feilding checking farming information on the internet when Macdonald rang him on his cellphone.

"Ewen was very distressed. He was almost incoherent,'' Mr Guy told the High Court at Wellington when he took the witness stand today.

"He said something has happened to Scott. I remember him saying `his face... You better get out here.' And that was the end of the conversation.''

Mr Guy said he "took off'', knowing something was drastically wrong.

The words, "his face'', stuck with him.

"I wasn't sure if Ewen had actually seen Scott at the time or afterward. My first thought was that it was an accident on the farm.''

Acting shift sergeant Neil Martin gave evidence today, and described the gruesome scene where Scott Guy's body lay in his driveway, a gaping hole to the throat.

He said Mr Guy's eyes were open but glazed over. He was prone on his back, feet toward the road. There was blood around the head and upper body.

After dropping to one knee to check unsuccessfully for a pulse, Mr Martin said he saw that an ambulance officer had arrived. Mr Guy was then confirmed dead.

Neighbouring deer farmer, Bruce Johnstone, told the court this morning of how he received a phone call from truck driver David Berry, who discovered Mr Guy's body, and got on his quad bike to head to the scene.

He then phoned Macdonald to let him know that My Guy was dead.

Macdonald asked if he was joking, before hopping on his quad bike and heading to the scene.

When Macdonald arrived at the scene he asked "what about Kylee?''.

At some stage he got off his quad bike, but Mr Johnstone could not recall whether Macdonald approached Mr Guy's body or not.

"Things sort of all happened at once.''

After police arrived at the scene Mr Johnstone told them they needed to make sure Mr Guy's family was alright.

Shortly after he noticed that Mr Guy's partner, Kylee Guy, had pulled the blind down to see what all the commotion was about.

She was then standing on the doorstep, with her son Hunter in her arms.

Police told her to stay where she was.

Mr Berry told the court of the 111 call he made to police after making the discovery. He read the jury a transcript of the call he made for help.

"My neighbour's had his bloody throat cut ... He's dead, I think he's got his his throat cut,'' Mr Berry said.

The call-taker asked him if there was a weapon nearby and he replied there probably would be a knife, "by the look of it''.

Mr Berry said it looked like Mr Guy was beyond any sort of help.

He told Crown prosecutor Ben Vanderkolk the transcript of the call was accurate as he remembered but was a bit "fuzzy'' because he was panicked when the call-taker said there could be someone, ie the attacker, nearby.

After hanging up from police he locked himself in the cab of the truck for security.

Mr Berry said he called a neighbour, Mr Johnstone, who then phoned Macdonald. Mr Berry was introduced to Macdonald who arrived quickly on his motorbike and looked "distressed''.

He was unsure if Macdonald went to the body.

Under cross-examination by Macdonald's lawyer Greg King, Mr Berry said he moved into a house previously lived in by Scott and Kylee Guy.

Mr King asked him if he remembered an incident shortly after he moved in of an "unsavoury character'' arriving late one night asking where Mr Guy was.

He stank of alcohol and looked "a bit rough'' so Mr Berry didn't feel comfortable telling him where Mr Guy had moved to.

This morning Justice Simon France said a female juror had been discharged from the six-week trial because she had become unavailable.

He gave no further reason for the discharge.