Do you know anything about the alleged incident?
Email the Herald Newsdesk
Labour MP Darren Hughes has confirmed he is the MP at the centre of allegations about a police investigation relating to a late-night incident, but says he has "done nothing wrong".
Mr Hughes, 32, confirmed a complaint had been laid with police about him and he was cooperating fully with police.
"I have done nothing wrong and I have full confidence that the legal processes will lead to the right outcome."
He said he had decided to publicly name himself.
"I am doing so because I think it is unfair that my colleagues should be subjected to speculation and suspicion."
He said he appreciated police needed to look into the matter properly and would not make any further comment until their inquiries were completed.
The complaint against him is understood to have been made by an 18-year-old man.
Labour has given Mr Hughes leave from Parliament for the day but has not stood him down.
The party last night held a crisis meeting over the issue, it was reported this morning.
Wellington police this morning confirmed they were investigating a complaint involving a current Member of Parliament about an incident alleged to have occurred in an inner city suburb in the early hours of Wednesday, March 2.
Wellington District field crime manager detective inspector Mike Johnson
said: "Inquiries into the matter are continuing but police are not seeking any assistance from the public at this stage."
Mr Hughes entered Parliament in 2002 when elected MP for Otaki aged 24, making him the youngest MP for the two terms he held the seat.
He had the smallest majority of any MP in the 2005 election, with just 382 votes more than National MP Nathan Guy, before losing the seat to Mr Guy in 2008 by 1354 votes.
Mr Hughes was whip in Helen Clark's government from the age of 25, before becoming Statistics Minister and associate social development and Employment Minister four years later.
An adept performer in the debating chamber, he was also deputy leader of the House.
Mr Hughes last week led the winning team at a Press Gallery fundraising debate at the Backbencher pub, successfully arguing that politics is a grubby business.
He is currently a Labour list MP and is number eight in the caucus, with responsibilities as chief opposition whip and education spokesman. He has been picked as one of Labour's rising stars
Full text of Darren Hughes' statement:
"In this morning's media there were articles about an investigation into a senior Labour MP. I can confirm that I am that MP.
I am doing so because I think it is unfair that my colleagues should be subjected to speculation and suspicion.
I am aware that a complaint has been made to the Police and I am co-operating fully with them.
I have done nothing wrong and I have full confidence that the legal processes will lead to the right outcome.
I fully appreciate that the Police need to look into the matter properly, and until they have completed their work I will not be making any further statement."
- with NZ Herald staff, NZPA