A 15-year-old boy suffered third degree burns to his arms and legs after a butane cigarette lighter he was filling exploded in his Coromandel Peninsula home last night.

The fire service was called to the Koputauaki Bay home around 11.25pm, with five appliances from Coromandel town, Papa Aroha and Whitianga responding.

The boy was taken by ambulance to Thames Hospital before being airlifted by the Westpac Waikato Air Ambulance to the burns unit at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland.

- NZHERALD STAFF