A march to protest the Government's lack of action following the so-called anti-smacking referendum has been announced today.

Colin Craig, an Auckland businessman, said he would fund the November 21 march, which will cost up to $450,000.

He said the march is about democracy and the government has so far ignored the majority of referendum respondents who voted against the repeal of Section 59 of the Crimes Act.

The author of the law change, Green Party MP Sue Bradford congratulated Mr Craig for putting up so much money to exercise his right to democracy.

"But it does seem a dreadful waste of money when it could go so much further in educating families and helping families not to use violence," Ms Bradford said.

Ms Bradford has extensive experience in organising protests and said the protest march could be the best funded march in New Zealand's history.

She said it was "incredible" that some people wanted to protest to allow violence against children.

Some 87 per cent of the respondents to the referendum in August agreed that "a smack as part of good parental correction should not be a criminal offence".

Mr Craig said the repeal of Section 59 was not something New Zealanders wanted.

"New Zealanders aren't in any doubt about what needs to happen but politicians are confused for whatever reason," he said.

Mr Craig was joined by Family First's director Bob McCroskie and Maori child advocate Bev Adair at a press conference in Auckland this morning.

Mr Craig said following the referendum he was waiting for a Government announcement that never came.

"The people are the boss and the Government has got to listen."

Mr Craig has a four-year-old daughter and was asked if he ever smacked her.

He said he had "given her a flick on the hand". He was also asked if he had donated to Family First and he confirmed that he had during the advertising campaign for the referendum.

Mr Craig said some political and religious groups had been in touch with him about the march but he wanted to keep them at arm's length for now and he would not name the groups.

He said all political parties would be invited to the march.

Family First director Bob McCroskie said his group wanted to tackle "rotten parents" but the repeal of Section 59 was not the answer.

"A bad law is still a bad law even if law abiding citizens follow it," Mr McCroskie said.

Ms Bradford said the referendum question was confusing and caused a lot of people not to take part in the referendum.

She said the Government did not take action following the referendum result because Prime Minister John Key made a decision based on principles.

"I commend the Prime Minister for sticking to his principals," Ms Bradford said.

She said very few laws are universally liked by all and the repeal of Section 59 is no different.