The deaths of men in Christchurch and Blenheim have both been confirmed as swine flu related, raising New Zealand's death toll from the H1N1 virus to five.

Chief Coroner Neil MacLean said the 46-year-old Blenheim man died at his home a week ago. He had a background of obesity.

Judge MacLean said an autopsy showed a strong suspicion the man had had swine flu, and now a virologist has confirmed it.

He said he knows little about the Christchurch death at this stage, but will be investigating further.

Yesterday health officials said 12 people were in intensive care wards with swine flu.

The number of people in hospital with the virus was 53, and 12 of those were in intensive care, deputy director of public health Dr Fran McGrath said.

The number of confirmed cases of swine flu was 1195, up from 1059 on Monday, she said.

The Ministry of Health was providing a weekly snapshot giving a fuller picture of the extent of swine flu.

That would provide a more accurate picture of the impact of the flu and its impact on health services, Dr McGrath said.

"There are still many things we don't know about this virus. What we do know is that people who have other significant health issues are more likely to be seriously affected by swine flu."

But it was important to remember that overseas experience showed that some previously healthy people could also develop a serious illness, she said.

The Government has ordered a stockpile of a new swine flu vaccine for emergency workers as an insurance measure.

It had ordered 300,000 doses of a vaccine from Baxter Healthcare - enough to give 150,000 the required two doses.

The vaccine would be delivered within a month.

- NZPA