A man will appear in court next week after allegedly abandoning a baby in Rotorua.
The Rotorua Daily Post reported the six-month-old boy was left in his pram on a city street about 1.30pm on Thursday.
Acting Sergeant Steve Allpress said a member of the public found him, safe and well, with a bottle of milk and nappies in the pram.
Mr Allpress said a man in his 30s was seen pushing the pram up Clayton Road before turning into Brookland Rd, then sitting on a fence before getting up and walking away, leaving the pram on a footpath.
Mr Allpress said witnesses described the man's behaviour as distressed.
The baby and two other children, aged seven and eight, had been put into the care of Child, Youth and Family.
A man charged with abandoning a child under six will appear in the Rotorua District Court next Thursday.