Key Points:

One of seven assault charges laid against shamed broadcaster Tony Veitch relates to an incident in which he allegedly threw water at former partner Kristin Dunne-Powell.

Other charges are understood to contain more serious allegations.

Veitch told media last week, after a brief appearance in Auckland District Court, that all charges would be "vigorously defended".

The Herald on Sunday has obtained details of some of the police allegations and charges against the 34-year-old.

According to police, one relates to an incident at Mangawhai sometime between April 2003 and April 2005 in which he allegedly pushed Dunne Powell on to a bed and threw a glass of water into her face. Another charge is understood to refer to confining Dunne-Powell in a corner.

Police refused to comment yesterday.

The Herald on Sunday can also reveal Veitch's lawyers have hired a private investigator to help uncover details for his defence. It is understood he has been speaking to acquaintances and former colleagues of Dunne-Powell as part of his inquiries.

The investigator, Brian Sloan of Venue Security, was a police officer for 10 years, first on general duties and then as a detective.

He was also a member of the Armed Offenders Squad and was attached to the Special Tactics Group during the Apec summit in Auckland in 1999. According to Venue Security's website, he has a black belt in karate and "provides close protection services for a high-profile New Zealander".

Sloan would not comment on his role. He joins top-notch lawyers Stuart Grieve QC and Doug Alderslade and public relations guru Glenda Hughes on Team Veitch.

Veitch's defence is expected to cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Grieve is believed to be charging up to $900 an hour and the private investigator is charging between $100 and $200 an hour.

Dunne-Powell has not made any public comment since allegations against Veitch surfaced two months ago, however she has had the help of PR experts as well. Star PR - which does work for Woosh, where she is sales and marketing manager - has been dealing with media inquiries on her behalf.

Veitch entered no plea when he appeared in court last week. He was granted bail under conditions that he live at his Herne Bay home and surrender his passport. He is due to reappear in court next month.

Outside the court, Veitch said there would be more revelations to come.

"I now look forward to every chance and possibility for all information and all of the facts to be played out in the appropriate forum.

"There are two sides to every story and I guarantee that will come out in the end."