Monday, 25 December 2023
KaitaiaWhangareiDargavilleAucklandThamesTaurangaHamiltonWhakataneRotoruaTokoroaTe KuitiTaumarunuiTaupoGisborneNew PlymouthNapierHastingsDannevirkeWhanganuiPalmerston NorthLevinParaparaumuMastertonWellingtonMotuekaNelsonBlenheimWestportReeftonKaikouraGreymouthHokitikaChristchurchAshburtonTimaruWanakaOamaruQueenstownDunedinGoreInvercargill
NZ HeraldThe Northern AdvocateThe Northland AgeThe AucklanderWaikato HeraldBay Of Plenty TimesRotorua Daily PostHawke's Bay TodayWhanganui ChronicleThe Stratford PressManawatu GuardianKapiti NewsHorowhenua ChronicleTe Awamutu CourierVivaEat WellOneRoofDRIVEN Car GuideThe CountryPhoto SalesiHeart RadioRestaurant Hub
Voyager 2023 media awards
Subscribe
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / New Zealand

Kim Dotcom to shift to Queenstown after assets and money released

NZ Herald
25 Jul, 2017 07:21 PM2 mins to read
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Tech entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his family are now looking at moving to the South Island after the Hong Kong courts released funds frozen for the past five years. Photo / Greg Bowker

Tech entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his family are now looking at moving to the South Island after the Hong Kong courts released funds frozen for the past five years. Photo / Greg Bowker

Embattled internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom is to quit Auckland and head south to raise his children surrounded by "beautiful lakes and mountains instead of spies".

Dotcom last night tweeted he was now looking to move to Queenstown after money and possessions previously frozen in Hong Kong by the US Government had been released.

The HK High Court has just released some of my seized funds. Also getting 4 containers full of seized property back. I miss Hong Kong 🇭🇰🙏🏻

— Kim Dotcom (@KimDotcom) July 25, 2017

The thankful tech mogul said it meant his family of five children and partner of 18 months, Elizabeth Donnelly, could enjoy life surrounded by idyllic mountains and lakes rather than spies.

Dotcom shifted to a penthouse waterfront apartment on the fashionable Princes Wharf in downtown Auckland at the end of 2015 after a lease agreement on the Dotcom mansion ended. The sprawling Coatesville property is now owned by richlister siblings Anna, Mat and Nick Mowbray, founders of global toy company Zuru.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Thanks to a Hong Kong Judge my family can move to Queenstown and my kids will be surrounded by beautiful mountains & lakes instead of spies.

— Kim Dotcom (@KimDotcom) July 25, 2017

Dotcom, who is fighting extradition to the US, tweeted a Hong Kong judge had released some of his fortune and four container loads of property.

This morning Dotcom's lawyer Ira Rothken said out of respect for the Hong Kong judicial process there would be no further comment until the court issued a written judgment or order.

The entrepreneur has fought for the past five years to have assets worth US$42.57m ($57.4m) released after they were seized under the instruction of the US government.

The Hong Kong court has previously allowed a fraction of the money to be used for living and legal expenses.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Dotcom is flagging new court action against the New Zealand Government after a High Court judgment revealed he was under GSCB surveillance far longer than spies had previously admitted.

Related articles

New Zealand

Kim Dotcom seeks mountain home

13 Aug 07:44 PM
New Zealand

Dotcom looking for chef, teacher and DJ

24 Apr 10:52 AM
Saveshare

Share this article

facebookcopy linktwitterlinkedinredditemail
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

New ZealandUpdated

Rescue of paragliders who crashed into trees in Queenstown under way

24 Dec 11:09 PM
New Zealand

Man arrested after Christmas Eve hit-and-run in Ōtara

24 Dec 11:03 PM
New Zealand

Christmas Day flood threat, severe thunderstorm alert for top half of North Island

24 Dec 10:59 PM
New Zealand

'A place to belong': Auckland City Mission serves up Christmas lunch

24 Dec 10:51 PM

“Never been a better time to buy an EV”

sponsored
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from New Zealand

Rescue of paragliders who crashed into trees in Queenstown under way

Rescue of paragliders who crashed into trees in Queenstown under way

24 Dec 11:09 PM

Fenz and Alpine Cliff Rescue teams are trying to assist the pair.

Man arrested after Christmas Eve hit-and-run in Ōtara

Man arrested after Christmas Eve hit-and-run in Ōtara

24 Dec 11:03 PM
Christmas Day flood threat, severe thunderstorm alert for top half of North Island

Christmas Day flood threat, severe thunderstorm alert for top half of North Island

24 Dec 10:59 PM
'A place to belong': Auckland City Mission serves up Christmas lunch

'A place to belong': Auckland City Mission serves up Christmas lunch

24 Dec 10:51 PM
9 big questions over an EV road trip
sponsored

9 big questions over an EV road trip

NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
  • Bundle subscriptions
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • What the Actual
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven CarGuide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2023 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP