On today's Viewpoint NZ, the battle for our main streets - towns and cities find ways to fight back against mega centres on the edge of town.
We get the lowdown on some of the tricks town planners in Hastings and New Brighton are using to revitalise their town centres.
Also on today's show:
• Maketū wetlands to be re-created
• police guards around the country include an innocent citizenship ceremony in Queenstown
• Oamaru hospital protests
• Ngāti Kahungunu land the big one - their own fisheries company
• a happy ending in Taumarunui
• Kaan's business expansion across the South Island
• Awhina House night shelter for women
• Shirley Boys High School in Christchurch is on the move
• Mataura has the South Island's best pump track
• sculpture in Kimbolton
• and a student party in Dunedin that didn't get out of hand.