Rain prematurely ended what was an exciting weekend of driving at the Whangarei Speedway track.

The Super Saloons, B Grade Saloons and Mini Stocks New Zealand titles were all up for grabs at the CTRA Titles and ATV Yamaha Cup event however severe rain on the Saturday night ended the two day event after just one.

Despite this, Whangarei Speedway president Rex Roycroft said the event was a success.

"It was an awesome event. The Saturday was a great day," he said.


"There was a late start because of the rain so we didn't kick off to 4pm. But the track was great and the racing was brilliant. We ran all of the scheduled races on that day despite the delay."

"It was a great team effort from everyone involved. We are really happy with how the first day panned out."

The CTRA Super Saloon national title turned into a battle between two Northlanders in Kaikohe's Max Andresen and Canaan Jordan.

Jordan put in a strong stint behind the wheel to secure second place but Andresen dominated from start to finish, winning all three races in the class to win the title.

Roycroft said he was the most impressive driver on the day.

"Max was absolute class on the track. To win all three races in that class was a phenomenal achievement," he said.

Meanwhile Whangarei's Fraser Blacklock and Taipa duo Roy Walker and Chris Hinde were the front runners in the CTRA North Island B Grade event.

Walker made his presence felt and proved too classy for his opponents, winning the North Island title. Blacklock finished second and Hinde completed the podium for Northland.

The CTRA Youth Mini Stock national title was another that was well contested, with Waitakere's Tyler Ingram fending off Kumeu's Ethan Roberts and Kaylee Brooks of Pukekohe for the title.

Gavin Miller picked up a title for the home club, taking out the ATV Yamaha Cup.

Miller was pushed by New Plymouth pair Troy Hawkins and Steven Johns but finished up trumps.

Unfortunately a full schedule of races was unable to be raced with the overnight rain.

Roycroft said the track wasn't in the best state on the second day which led to the cancellation of the day's events.

"It was pretty bad. The track itself was wet but the middle was flooded," he said.

"In the middle of the night the water was a foot deep.

"There was the odd car waiting for racing on the second morning and the water was a fair way up the side so it wasn't ideal, really."