Kaipara Flats, Whangarei Boys' High School and Onerahi Central have put themselves in prime position in the third round of the Oxford Trust Two Day competition.

Kaipara Flats put immediate pressure on Westech Automotive Maungakaramea, with opening bowler Kyran Dill (5 for 54) taking early scalps.

Neal Parlane (30) and Hamish Kidd (37) went about rebuilding the innings for the home side but the re-introduction of Dill tore through the middle order.

Maungakaramea were eventually dismissed for 121, needing a big effort to try salvage first innings points.


Things started relatively well when Kidd (3 for 65) took the early wicket of Daniel Blunden for nine but the second wicket pairing of Rory Christopherson (43) and Ollie White set about knocking off the lead.

Kidd removed Christopherson but White batted stoutly, cruising to 99 before nicking one through to the keeper one short of the century landmark on the last ball of the day.

Kaipara Flats go into day two on 184 for 3, 63 runs ahead of Maungakaramea.

Meanwhile, WBHS are well on their way to a big win over Kamo after a productive first day.

A top bowling performance from WBHS restricted their opposition to just 118 in their first dig.

Curtis Cherrington provided the backbone of the innings with an unbeaten 51, but the bowling of Kurt Oldridge (4 for 34) and Sean Sweeney (3 for 26) proved tough to play.

Despite a couple of early hiccups, WBHS knocked off the 118-run lead and hammered home the advantage through half-centuries to Lewis Miller (70), Sweeney (59) and Caleb Boswell-Smith (50).

Wickets were shared between Kamo's six bowlers, with Shane Burton's 2 for 33 the pick as WBHS were dismissed for 234.

Kamo had to bat eight overs before the close and looked to get through the day without any more damage, but opener Lakhdeep Singh was removed for a duck. This leaves Kamo at 20 for 1, 106 runs behind WBHS.

In the final match of the round, Onerahi put themselves in the driver's seat against Duracrete Products City after a Henry Cooper century.

Onerahi bowled first and made early breakthroughs through Fletcher Coutts (4 for 43) and Sean Doel (1 for 15).

City captain Harry Darkins (22) looked to help his side recover but was run out. They subsequently lost Quinn Pooley next over to be reeling at 50 for 5.

Matt Lobb was unflappable in his innings as he looked to take City towards the 200-run mark. His 46 not out could have been more but he was unable to find a consistent partner.

Cooper (3 for 17) knocked off the last two wickets to dismiss City for 139.

Cooper then provided the ground work of Onerahi's first innings as he took Onerahi past City's total.

He brought up a well-deserved century in 126 balls, striking nine boundaries and a six.

He was removed next ball off the bowling of Dwayne Classen (2 for 53) and that gave City a chance to run through the Onerahi order.

However, staunch resistance from Tom Keogh (23) and Doel (22, including a huge six off the final ball of the day), got Onerahi through to 212 for 8, giving them a lead of 73.