The electricity in the atmosphere was reflected on the turf when Whangarei Boys' High School took on Maungakaramea in their premier men's hockey semifinal on Friday.

Boys' High picked up an enthralling 6-5 win in awful conditions, providing a spectacle for the committed crowd.

With lightning flashing through the sky, the game produced many electric moments as the teams went goal for goal until Boys' High secured the win through a Bronson Baker drag flick with minutes to go.

Boys' High went up two goals early in the match but Maungakaramea fought back to level it and go into halftime at 3-all.


Both teams had plenty of chances in the match and Boys' High coach Christian Stainton said he was happy with the way his side converted their opportunities.

"We got the ball into the circle and made opportunities and our finishing was probably the best it has been throughout the whole season," Stainton said.

Boys' High were promoted to the premier grade just this year and it was obvious what it meant to them to be in the final by the players' and supporters' reactions to the win.

Stainton said "there has been a lot of hard work behind the scenes in getting [to the final]."

The excitement continued in Saturday's semifinal with Springfield up against Mangapai.

With the scores level at 2-all after regular time and neither team able to convert in extra time, it took until the sudden death shootout for Springfield to claim the win.

In the women's semifinals Whangarei Girls' High School held on to get the upset win over a strong-finishing Old Girls side.

Girls' High powered out to a 3-0 lead in the first quarter before both sides added one to go into the last quarter at 4-1.

Old Girls threw everything into the last 10 minutes and clawed back to 4-3 but couldn't find the equaliser.

In the second semifinal, Springfield overcame a spirited Maungakaramea side 2-1 to take the other final spot.

All grand finals across nine grades will be played from 12.10pm next Saturday at Hockey Northland.