Petrol station robbery

One of three people charged with the aggravated robbery of a Northland service station has pleaded guilty to more charges. Tama Hirawani, 27, is accused of robbing the Oakleigh service station in May. He appeared in the Whangarei District Court yesterday via audio visual link and pleaded guilty to two charges of burglary. Hirawani had earlier pleaded guilty to one charge of theft from a car but not guilty to aggravated robbery. He has yet to enter a plea on one charge of possessing instruments for conversion. He will reappear on November 11.

Wreckage removal
The helicopter wreckage in which two people died on Monday was to be lifted out yesterday. Two investigators from the Transport Accident Investigation Commission were back at the Glenbervie Forest site yesterday and it was hoped the wreckage would be lifted out and put on a waiting truck. Derek Hammond and pilot Allan Jessop were in the helicopter when it crashed about 2pm.

Kidnap charges


A Northlander has denied a string of charges, including rape and abduction of a girl for sex. Raymond Steiner, 45, has pleaded not guilty to three charges of rape, two of unlawful sexual connection with a female, two of kidnapping, and single charges of abduction, indecently assaulting a female, and injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm. He will reappear in the Whangarei District Court for a callover on December 8.

Murder inquiries ongoing

No arrests have been made in relation to two separate murder investigations. Teams of Northland police helped by staff from Auckland continue to investigate the deaths of 25-year-old Moses Noor Mahanga and John Henry Harris, 37. Mr Mahanga, a Headhunters gang member, was found dead in the driver's seat of a white Mitsubishi car parked on William Jones Dr, Otangarei, after reports of gunshots about 11pm on October 4. Mr Harris, a patched Tribesmen member, died of a single gunshot wound to the chest on October 18 after he was driven by two men to the St John ambulance station on Western Hills Dr. He was loaded into an ambulance but died at the station about 6.40am.

Victim thanks helpers

A Whangarei man involved in a hit and run on Hatea Dr yesterday wants to thank the three people who helped him. Hunter Mackenzie, 21, was driving his scooter towards the city when he was allegedly hit by another vehicle which then drove off about 8.15am. He said he was shaken but not badly injured. Mr Mackenzie wanted to say a big thank you to three people who pulled over to help and urged anyone with information to contact Whangarei police.