The co-ordinator of Whangarei's March for Moko has received calls from several people reaching out for help following the event.
Phil Paikea, co-ordinator of Sunday's march and White Ribbon ambassador, said people who believed marches did not work needed to think again.
"Look I tell you, there were people on that march who had never been on a march before. They were there because they wanted to take part. I've had people ringing me who want to get help but didn't know where to get it - I'm meeting with three people today," he said.
About 1500 Northlanders marched from Haven Falls Funeral home to Laurie Hall Park to stand against child abuse. The march was one of several held across the country following the death of Taupo 3-year-old Moko Rangitoheriri who died at the hands of his caregivers. Mr Paikea said following the march he would continue to do the work he is doing.
"I'll continue to speak in prisons, to speak to youth groups and even speaking at gang pads sometimes."
Following the march Mr Paikea was approached by many people, some who were clearly moved by the event. He said the march was not only an avenue for people to stand against child abuse and domestic violence but a chance to show people where to get help.
"Some said they were glad they came and some said they knew people who needed to get help," he said.
Mr Paikea said he believed people would continue to stand against child abuse.
"I don't think it will ever quiet down. People want to talk about it, they want to be involved and I say they can make it happen in their own homes. It should never quieten down," he said.
Meanwhile, about 300 people turned out for the march in Kaikohe. The march was led by 89-year-old Irihapeti Pou in a car driven by her son, followed by families, some carrying pictures of their loved ones who had been killed.
In Kerikeri about 200 people joined a march for Moko, from Kerikeri Domain, through town, to the Stone Store.