Hikurangi 22 Kamo 10

Hikurangi have bounced back from a 56-13 hammering by Mid Northern last week to gain a 22-10 round two win against Kamo, in the Bayleys 2015 Southern District Premiers competition.

With their backs to the wind in the first half, Hikurangi head coach Quentin Cherrington says his forwards put in a burly effort to get momentum rolling.

"We dominated at scrum time and upfront with the wind in the first half.


"In the first 10-15 minutes we demolished their scrum right on their line a couple of times but couldn't get over the line initially."

Making use of the breeze, Hikurangi then managed to slip in 15 unanswered points in the first half to keep the visiting Kamo side re-evaluating their gameplan.

Choosing to run with the wind helped Hikurangi's first half lead.

However, their meteorological hopes did not hold true, with the relentless wind failing to subside as they took to the pitch for the last 40 minutes.

"We thought the wind was going to die off for the second half but it didn't," Cherrington said.

Kamo bounced right back into the game in the second half, executing several prime scoring opportunities.

Kamo coach Rod Hudson said his team stuck to their game plan of keeping it simple in order to offer some kind of rebuttal to Hikurangi's dominant first half.

"The guys' attitude at halftime was good and they wanted to step it a up a few gears.

"We've just got to work on our breakdowns."

With both teams playing well into the dying minutes of the match, it was anybody's game.

But Hikurangi were not prepared to let go of the win, after having it in their sights for the majority of the game.

"We clinched it with five [minutes] to go," Cherrington said.

Hikurangi's backs utilised a key attacking opportunity to score a late try and put on a glowing performance. "[We're] pretty happy with the win," Cherrington said.

"It was a total team effort. We had good preparation and we were not too flat coming into it.

With three tries, two conversions and one penalty, Hikurangi sealed the deal over the depleted Kamo team, who suffered a tight 18-22 loss to Otamatea in round one of the premier competition.

Hikurangi will now travel to Dargaville in round three to play the Western Sharks.