The search for missing Gisborne man Duncan Munro ended tragically yesterday for his family when his body was found in a remote area on the Mahia Peninsula, 80km south of the city.

The 43-year-old was reported missing on Friday after a friend visited his home and found his van and surfboard missing.

Police made a plea for information about his whereabouts and a search for him was started on Friday afternoon.

The search was scaled up on Saturday and a fixed-wing aircraft conducted a coastline search.


"Mr Munro's vehicle was found at about midday on Saturday on Onenui Station on the northern side of Mahia peninsula," said Sergeant Greg Lexmond.

"It was parked off the side of a gravel road about two kilometres from the coast."

The vehicle was locked, and Mr Munro's surfboard and wetsuit were still inside.

"We immediately scaled up the search further, with 20-30 SAR volunteers from Wairoa involved, along with the ECT rescue helicopter," Mr Lexmond said.

No sign was found of the missing man on Saturday and the search continued on Sunday with even more volunteers involved, along with a specialist police tracking dog team.

"Mr Munro's body was found in a ravine, in quite steep country that overlooked the sea at about 10.50 yesterday morning," said Senior Sergeant Maui Aben.

"The ECT rescue helicopter with a long line was used to winch his body out of the ravine and he was taken to the Gisborne Hospital mortuary."

A post-mortem will be conducted.

"We are unable to comment on the circumstances of Mr Munro's death because it is now in the hands of the coroner," Mr Aben said.

"This is obviously a tragic event for the family and we extend our condolences to them.

"We must commend the excellent work by the search and rescue volunteers who were able to find him as quickly as they did.

"There was very good collaboration between police, the man's family and the SAR volunteers."

Mr Munro's family have extended their thanks to all involved in the search.

- Gisborne Herald