Romano Fenati shocked the world of sport after he astonishingly and very dangerously tried to pull a rival's brakes during the San Marino MotoGP.

On Sunday, Fenati was riding alongside fellow Italian Stefano Manzi before reaching over and attempting to pull the brake lever on his rival's right handlebar.

But it isn't the first time he has been in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons. The Italian rider has a very chequered past within motor racing.

Fenati attempted to grab the front brake of Manzi's bike at the San Marino Grand Prix. Photo / BT Sport
Fenati attempted to grab the front brake of Manzi's bike at the San Marino Grand Prix. Photo / BT Sport

In a video which BT Sport uploaded on to Twitter on Sunday, the 22-year-old can be seen trying out some very reckless stunts in the past.

Advertisement

In one of the clips, Fenati did the unthinkable and kicked a rival's bike while racing in another highly dangerous attack.

He also has a reputation for heatedly arguing with other riders, and can be seen turning off the machine of a rival, who had to pull out of the race after being left stranded at the start line.

Furthermore, Fenati - born in Ascoli Piceno - has also been physically and verbally aggressive on the grid with his competitors.

Now you can add grabbing brakes to the long list of mischievous acts the MotoGP bad boy has performed already by the young age of 22.

The 22-year-old Italian driver (left) has had a very chequered past within MotoGP. Photo / Getty Images
The 22-year-old Italian driver (left) has had a very chequered past within MotoGP. Photo / Getty Images

After his awful act at the weekend in San Marino, there have been calls for him to be banned for life, with British rider Cal Crutchlow leading the way.

"He should never compete on a motorcycle again," said Crutchlow, who finished third in the main MotoGP race on Sunday.

"He should have walked back to the garage and his team should have just kicked him straight out the back.

"You can't do this to another motorcycle racer. We are risking our lives enough."

Fenati, who was sacked by Marinelli Rivacold Snipers over the incident, had been somewhat leniently banned for two races after being disqualified from the race following the incident, which occurred on the 23rd lap.

The pair had made contact earlier in the race as Manzi attempted to overtake Fenati, and both riders ran off the track before re-entering and continuing to race, but losing positions to their rivals.

Fenati's opponent signals with his hands after being left stranded while the riders get away. Photo / BT Sport
Fenati's opponent signals with his hands after being left stranded while the riders get away. Photo / BT Sport

The incident seemed to have enraged Fenati, leading to his reckless reaction.

"We had a contact two turns before, but nothing to justify such a reaction. His gesture speaks for itself," said Manzi.

Whether Fenati pulls off another terrible stunt remains to be seen but his dangerous act on Sunday appears to have had repercussions.

He had been announced as joining the new MV Agusta Moto2 project next season, to be run in partnership with the Forward Racing team, which Manzi rides for.

He can be seen arguing with an opponent on the start grid as the fellow riders watch on. Photo / BT Sport
He can be seen arguing with an opponent on the start grid as the fellow riders watch on. Photo / BT Sport

But MV Agusta boss Giovanni Castiglioni insisted Fenati's deal with MV now "won't happen".

"Regarding his contract for a future position as rider of MV Agusta Moto 2, I will oppose myself in every way to stop it. It won't happen, he doesn't represent our company's true values."