A Utah man is suing McDonald's and Swire Coca-Cola after his Diet Coke was allegedly spiked with an opiate.
Trevor Walker recently filed a complaint that claims his McDonald's diet coke was laced with the heroin substitute Suboxone on August 12, 2016.
According to the complaint, obtained by Fox 13, the opiate interacted with a medication that Walker was taking at the time and created a "substantial risk of death" by impairing his breathing.
Walker said he was with his family when he visited the restaurant located in Riverton, Utah, and ordered two happy meals, two chicken sandwiches and two Diet Cokes.
On the way home, Walker drank the soda. As soon as he got home, he noticed his fingers were unresponsive and he started losing feeling in his arms and legs, the MailOnline reported.
"As I started to shift my body, I started to sense almost like a lapse in time, like between the time I would move my hands there was a delay," he told Fox 13.
According to the complaint, Walker alerted his wife, Rachelle, through two text messages.
"Something is vey [sic] wrong with me. I am having sensations in my arms and everything is moving slowly. I'm feeling scared. I don't know what to do."
In the second text, Walker wrote that he was 'scared' but 'trying to be calm'.
Moments later, he "blacked out" and his wife found him facedown on the floor and unconscious.
She immediately rushed him to the hospital where a urinalysis showed there was Suboxone in his system. Suboxone is a narcotic often used to treat opioid addiction.
Meanwhile, Walker's wife compared her drink to her husband's and noticed it had 'speckles and a film on the surface', according to the complaint.
She reported the suspicious drink to officers at the Unified Police Department.
The drink was tested and came back positive for the heroin substitute buprenorphine or Suboxone.
According to the lawsuit, no arrests were made after police conducted an investigation.
But the lawsuit claims authorities did have one suspect: the younger brother of the McDonald's manager.
During the investigation, police were allegedly told by restaurant workers that the security footage from the day of the incident had been deleted.
Instead, the restaurant reportedly gave authorities video from August 13, a day after the incident.
Restaurant employees allegedly told Walker's lawyers that the August 12 footage had been deleted because video is automatically erased after 30 days.
The manager and employee suspected of lacing the drink quit their jobs after police questioned them, the lawsuit claims.
Walker's complaint accuses McDonald's of failing to preserve the video recording of the drive-thru area by deleting the video. Walker is seeking an unspecified amount for damages, including payment for medical bills and loss of earnings.