Warriors halfback Shaun Johnson says it will take a collective effort to contain South Sydney captain Greg Inglis in tomorrow night's round one NRL clash in Perth.

The 31-year-old Australian and Queensland representative will make his anticipated comeback at left centre after he suffered a season-ending ACL injury while playing in his preferred fullback role for his club in round one last year.

Johnson acknowledged Inglis' presence would require his right-side defensive combinations with Warriors centre Peta Hiku and back rower Tohu Harris to be on song when the two sides meet at the new Optus Stadium.

"It is [a collective effort]," said Johnson. "He's a superstar of our game and it's awesome to see him back playing.


"We can't focus all our attention on one player but he's definitely someone we're going to have to keep a close eye on, especially on our right edge. We've got a big job ahead of us."

Inglis' knee injury was also a catalyst for his battle with depression that saw him admit himself to a mental health clinic last May for a three-week stint of treatment and therapy.

There were doubts he would be physically fit to start the season but Inglis returned earlier than expected, playing 20 minutes in Souths' Charity Shield win over the Dragons last month.

Warriors and former Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney is confident new recruit Hiku is up to the task of marking Inglis, but believes the Warriors forwards can help his cause on attack.

The pair have opposed each other at fullback at test level on two occasions — during the 2014 Four Nations, with New Zealand winning both times — while Hiku shifted to the centres and Inglis remained in the No1 jersey as the Kiwis notched a third straight victory over the Kangaroos in the 2015 Anzac test.

"Pet [Hiku] is capable enough," said Kearney. "It's a big job for the team. We can make his job easier if the guys in the middle are doing their job and we're getting ball on our terms, not their terms."

Both sides will reduce their squads to 19 players 24 hours out from the game before confirming their final 17 an hour before kickoff.