Authorities are trying to reassure people that the gang-related shoot-out which left two people seriously injured is not an indication of rising violence in South Auckland.
The tinnie house shooting follows two homicides and an attempted murder in South Auckland since Friday and has left many residents fearing for their safety.
Yesterday the city's mayor, Len Brown, Police Minister Annette King and District Commander Superintendent Steve Shortland met at the scene of the gunfight to reassure the public that the violent crimes were not connected.
"We want to deliver a message to our community that [violent crime] is under control and that we value the importance of safety of the people in our streets and that stretches right across the city," said Mr Brown.
"It's obvious that we have had some challenges in the Manukau community over the last few days but we are ready, willing and capable of facing these challenges.
"We know that these things sometimes ... happen in cycles but I'm hugely pleased today to see the presence of police and the way in which they have turned up here and the managed way they responded to [the shooting]." The officer in charge of Tuesday night's gunfight investigation, Detective Inspector John Tims, said the shooting was not a random event targeting "innocent members of the public".
It is alleged a group of up to six gang members arrived at the Flatbush tinnie house just before 8pm and exchanged gunfire with the occupants - who are believed to be from rival gang the Killer Beez.
Two people - one from each gang - were shot and rushed to Middlemore Hospital where they remained yesterday with non life-threatening head and leg injuries.
Mr Tims said one person from each gang had been arrested and charged with being unlawfully in possession of a shotgun. They were both granted interim name suppression and remanded in custody for a week after appearing in the Manukau District Court yesterday.
Mr Tims said further arrests were likely as police continued their investigation.
However, news of the arrests did little to appease Othello Dr residents who told the Herald they no longer felt safe given the escalating crime.
"When the helicopter was going around and around it gave me the chills," said Tui Misiepo.
Mr Shortland said he could understand the fear some residents were experiencing but he did not not believe violence was escalating in the city.
"It's always there, every now and then it erupts - we do our best to try and stay on top of it."
He said the district had made progress with youth gangs and street disorder during the past 18 months but police "can't be everywhere".
Ms King said gang-related incidents in the public arena were quite rare and police were working hard to keep the problem under control.
She had been assured by police that the shooting was not connected to the earlier stabbing incidents in Manukau and that none of the previous incidents had any connection with each other.
"The timing of these outbursts of violence is an unfortunate coincidence, not an indication of a rising crime wave in Manukau city."
Ms King urged people not to think badly of South Auckland as a result of the recent crime.
"The community of South Auckland, including Otara, is a good community and I think the worst thing that can happen is for people to label this as a bad community - there are good people here and good things happen but like any community you have got a bad element."
* One gang member in a serious but stable condition after being shot in the head. A rival gang member is in a fair condition with leg injuries.
* Two rival gang members in their 20s appeared in Manukau District Court yesterday charged with unlawfully being in possession of firearms.
* Police say further arrests are likely, but the shooting is not in any way related to two recent homicides in Counties Manukau.