There's a certain responsibility that comes with building one of the first apartment blocks in prestigious Herne Bay.
That's why Liam Joyce from Artifacts Property says they've pulled out all the stops when it comes to their latest project, Jervois Apartments.
"It is one of the first developments along the Herne Bay ridge and we want to show how it can be done," says Liam. "It's going to be there for a long time and we have put a lot of thought into how it will look in 50 years. We want it to be timeless."
The architecture is definitely going to be striking. Architects Monk Mackenzie has come up with an eye-catching undulating aluminium facade that will not only look incredible from the street, but provide residents with privacy and dappled light in bedrooms.
The curved screen is a modern interpretation of the bay windows that are so prolific in the lovely old villas in the area, says Liam.
"We think it is going to look elegant, and really stand out."
The attention to detail paid to the facade is an indication of how much careful thought has gone into planning Jervois Apartments. Luxury and class are important in a blue chip suburb such as Herne Bay, and Artifact — run by Liam and his wife Sophie Wyllie, an architectural designer — was conscious of this when it came to working on the project.
They understood that some potential apartment purchasers aren't keen on living in a big block full of identical homes, so Jervois Apartments will be a boutique complex with just eight apartments and a retail space that faces onto Jervois Road.
There's a ground floor apartment with a private patio, then the next three floors will house two apartments each with dual aspects to the north and south. The top level is devoted to the penthouse, with all apartments other than the ground floor one getting north-facing views out to the harbour.
All the apartments have three bedrooms and two bathrooms, along with a generous open plan kitchen, dining and living area leading out to a north-facing deck.
One particularly special feature in each apartment is a winter garden, or enclosed veranda, tucked between the dining area and third bedroom, which provides extra light and outdoor space, and is the first thing you see when you walk in the door.
The penthouse also has a winter garden — but there are some added extras — including an extra-big deck, three bathrooms, a cloakroom, two living areas and a separate dining area.
The interiors have been designed by Amelia Holmes, who works on high-end residential and retail spaces. Artifact is delighted with her designs, which are the epitome of elegance and style, and include fittings that are being specially crafted, such as brass rangehoods and natural stone sinks.
"We agonise over every little detail, that's just what we do," says Liam. "We don't just walk into a shop and buy things in bulk."
But if any purchasers have their own design ideas and want to put their stamp on the apartment they buy, Artifact will make that happen, says Liam.
"Somebody might want a particular stone bench top, or they'd like to use the third bedroom as a media room, and put in a cavity slider instead of a door. If they want to customise their apartment to make it more bespoke, we are up for it."
Each apartment comes with two basement carparks and a storage locker.
• What You Need To Know: Eight luxury homes in Jervois Apartments are to be built at 113 Jervois Rd, Herne Bay. Five minutes drive into the city and great shops, cafes, bars and restaurants just a stroll away. Also just down the road to Sentinel and Home Bay beaches. Jervois Apartments are expected to be completed by September 2020.
• Options: Apartments ranging in size from 168sq m to 263sq m, priced from $3.25 million. All have three bedrooms, two bathrooms and two parking spaces.
• Body corp: Starting from $6230 a year.
• Inspect: Display suite open at UP Real Estate, 162 Jervois Rd, Herne Bay, Mon-Fri 12.30-2pm or Sat/Sun 10.30am to noon. Call 09 361 6658 to make an appointment.
• Schools: Ponsonby Primary, Ponsonby Intermediate, Auckland Girls' Grammar, Western Springs College.
• Contact: Patrick McCarthy, UP Real Estate, 0272 333 988.