After a two week break from the New Zealand national league, Hamilton Wanderers returned to action against the Wellington Phoenix's U-20, falling to a 3-2 defeat, continuing their barren run in 2019.

The Hamilton side has been firmly out of play-offs reach for several games now, and are currently just playing for pride, while preparing for the upcoming 2019 LottoNRFL winter season.

Hamilton Wanderers had the opening chance of the match, switching the play out to the left side of the field, before drilling the ball across goal, but no Wanderers players were in the area able to convert.

Martin Bueno then found himself free in the Phoenix's box, but he too was unable to convert the cross.


Wanderers continued their dominance winning a succession of corners, but the Phoenix's defence proved strong in the opening minutes of the match.

The Phoenix finally found their first chance of the match just after the 10 minute mark, drawing a foul from the Wanderers' defence. Willem Ebbinge was unable to convert the free kick on goal.

Ebbinge had a further chance for the Phoenix, but the shot was well saved by Wanderers keeper Matt Oliver.

On the 30th minute mark the deadlock was broken by the Phoenix. Maximilian Batchelor was able to tap home from the goal-line after strong footwork from Ebbinge to beat three Wanderers defenders.

Tommy Semmy, who has been so often the lifeline for Hamilton Wanderers, was able to go a run of his own, beating the Phoenix defence, but was able to find a cross for the Wanderers' strikers.

On the strike of halftime, the Phoenix pounced on a loose ball in the Wanderers' defence to double their lead, leaving Wanderers staring down the barrel of their 10th defeat.

It took until the 70th minute for Wanderers to pull one back through Semmy, who lashed home a low volley into the bottom left hand corner.

And on the fulltime mark, Wanderers earned themselves a penalty which Bueno converted to make the game 2-2, leaving Wanderers sure of a point.

However, it was the Phoenix that had the last laugh with Ben Waine scoring in the dying minutes to secure a 3-2 win over the Wanderers.