Exploding televisions and toxic smelling fumes greeted firefighters at a blaze in Hamilton's industrial hub this afternoon.
The fire, at Planet Recycling in Latham Court, Frankton, involved plastics and televisions, causing toxic smoke to sweep west across the city.
Assistant fire area commander Daryl Trim asked people to keep their windows and doors closed if they were affected by the smoke.
A large black plume of smoke could be seen as the fire broke out around 1pm. The blaze was about 10m x 10m, Mr Trim said and three fire appliances rushed to the address off Kahikatea Dr.
A nearby worker, Clayton Pinkney said "there was a loud boom" preceding the fire.
"It absolutely stinks out there," he told the Herald.
Northern Fire Communications shift manager Dallas Ramsay said the large rubbish fire involved plastic and chemicals and Environment Waikato had been called to the scene.
She was not aware of any evacuations and could not say if the fire had been deliberately lit.
The owner of Planet Recycling was not at the scene.