Verne Troyer, best known for his role as Mike Myers' comical sidekick "Mini-Me" in the "Austin Powers" movie franchise, died last April of alcohol intoxication, the Los Angeles County coroner's office reported Wednesday.
Troyer, 49 was reported to be suffering from alcohol intoxication when he was admitted to a Los Angeles hospital on April 3. He died there on April 21.
"It was later determined Troyer died from sequelae of alcohol intoxication," the coroner's office said in a statement.
Sequelae is a term defining an action or condition leading to another ailment or, in this case, death.
Troyer's representatives had said last April he'd been struggling with depression and thoughts of suicide.
The actor, who was just 2-foot-8, became a star playing Mini-Me to Myers' Dr. Evil and Austin Powers in the 1999 film "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me" and its 2002 sequel "Austin Powers in Goldmember."
He also played banker-goblin Griphook in "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" and appeared in dozens of TV shows, videos and other films in a career spanning more than 20 years.
Troyer was born with achondroplasia, a genetic condition that limited his height.
Where to get help:
If you are worried about your or someone else's mental health, the best place to get help is your GP or local mental health provider. However, if you or someone else is in danger or endangering others, call police immediately on 111.
Or if you need to talk to someone else:
• Lifeline: 0800 543 354 (available 24/7)
• Suicide Crisis Helpline: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
• Youthline: 0800 376 633
• Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 (available 24/7)
• Kidsline: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
• Whatsup: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
• Depression helpline: 0800 111 757 (available 24/7)
• Rainbow Youth: (09) 376 4155
• Samaritans 0800 726 666
• Rural Support Trust: 0800 787 254.
• For others, visit: https://www.mentalhealth.org.nz/get-help/in-crisis/helplines/