An exciting variation on the traditional shepherd's pie, is the ideal winter warmer.
|3 cups||Tomato pasta sauce|
|600 g||Beef mince, or lamb mince (Main)|
|2 Tbsp||Parsley, chopped|
|1 kg||Potato, waxy or all-purpose, scrubbed (Main)|
|1 dash||Extra virgin olive oil, to brush over potatoes|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in a large saucepan and brown mince for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Drain off any excess fat, then add tomato pasta sauce and chopped fresh parsley. Stir to combine, season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- At the same time, cook whole waxy or all-purpose potatoes, scrubbed in boiling, salted water for 7 minutes to half-cook, then drain well and slice.
- Spread half the meat sauce over the base of a lasagne-style baking dish. Arrange a layer of sliced potatoes over the meat sauce, then cover with the remaining meat sauce. Arrange a second layer of potatoes over the surface. Brush potatoes with a little oil to finish.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove foil and bake uncovered for a further 20 minutes to lightly brown the top.