Elizabeth and Mike Lind bring European sophistication to their popular Parnell food market, La Cigale. These recipes come from book Elizabeth's book La Cigale (Random House).
|4||Leeks, large, or 12 young spring leaks (Main)|
|1 drizzle||Vinaigrette, Parisian or three-vinegar vinaigrette, recipes follow (Main)|
|3 handfuls||Fresh parsley|
|½||French stick, cut into 2cm cubes (Main)|
|1 drizzle||Olive oil, to fry croutons|
|1 piece||Speck, 6cm piece, cut into thin lardons (Main)|
|4||Free-range eggs (Main)|
|1 drizzle||Vinaigrette, Parisian, recipe follows|
|100 ml||Olive oil (Main)|
|30 ml||White wine vinegar, qood-quality (Main)|
|1 Tbsp||Dijon mustard, generous (Main)|
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
- Trim the leeks and wash well under cold running water. If using large leeks, cut them into 3 x 10cm pieces. Fill a saucepan with salted water and simmer the leeks until soft. Drain well, refresh under cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut each leek in half lengthwise and dress generously with vinaigrette and plenty of parsley. Season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Make the croutons by tossing the bread cubes in a little oil and baking in the oven until crisp and golden but not too hard.
- Gently brown the speck in a frying pan until slightly crisp. Wash and dry the lettuce, then tear it up. Place in 4 individual bowls.
- Poach the eggs in simmering water until set but still runny.
- While the eggs are poaching, sprinkle the croutons and speck on top of the lettuce in each bowl and toss with enough vinaigrette to lightly coat the leaves. Place a poached egg on each salad.
- Shake or whisk the ingredients together. Crushed garlic is an optional extra. If you don't use a good-quality vinegar, the taste will be too sharp.
- 100ml canola oil (or a light olive oil)
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp each of red wine vinegar, sherry vinegar and balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shake or whisk the ingredients together and season well. Makes enough for 1 large salad.