A Whanganui couple's last minute bid for an out-of-court agreement with the Earthquake Commission (EQC) appears to have failed with the two parties preparing to head to court on Monday.

Mark and Nichola Goodier have been battling EQC since the June 2015 storm, which flooded Whanganui, caused a landslip which rendered their Bastia Hill home dangerous and unlivable.

A 10-day hearing is set down at the High Court in Whanganui.

In 2015 a bank slipped under the weight of rain with a part of the driveway falling away, leaving the garage perched above, while a corner of the house has also dropped.

Advertisement

So far EQC has offered to pay out only for what it deems the damage is worth, despite Mr Goodier not being able to live in or sell the house.

EQC has paid $76,000 for the damage to the land but the Goodier's professional assessment has put remediation costs at almost $300,000.

It has also paid $38,000 for damage to the house, well below the $115,000 cap which would allow the Goodiers to go to their own insurer.

Their insurer doesn't have to pay to fix the it unless EQC estimates it will cost more than $115,000.

Mark Goodier said he had 30 statements or expert opinions supporting his position.

The couple said their son Louis met EQC operations deputy chief executive Paul Jepson this week in the hope of reaching an agreement but none was forthcoming.

"We have got this far, we must see this through," Mark Goodier said.

"We have spent thousands of dollars and are exhausted and stressed. We would like nothing better than EQC to do the right thing and put us over cap and let us deal with our insurer – to avoid court but that looks unlikely, being only one working day away."