The suspicious powder discovered in an envelope in Tauranga City Council's mailroom last Friday was not hazardous.
Susan Jamieson, general manager of people and engagement at the council, said the powder had been identified as a "non-hazardous food-grade product".
A police spokeswoman said inquiries into the incident were ongoing and no arrests had been made.
Mayor Greg Brownless said he was pleased to learn the powder had not posed a threat to staff.
Nonetheless, he believed the intent of the delivery was not so innocent.
"That's really the main point."
The mailroom in the council's administration building on the corner of 3rd Ave and Cameron Rd was put into lockdown after the discovery of the package about 8.30am.
Roads were closed for several hours while hazardous materials experts removed the package and decontaminated the scene.
About 400 of the council's 660 full-time equivalent staff work from the building.
It was not the first time a suspicious powder sparked an emergency at a Bay council.
In July 27, 2015, a red powder was sent to the Western Bay of Plenty District Council's offices at Barkes Corner along with a threatening note, sparking a similar emergency response and decontamination.
Testing showed the powder was harmless.