A Tauranga building company has been awarded the Bay of Plenty Central Plateau Registered Master Builders 2018 Supreme Renovation of the Year for its transformation of a "humble home" into a "beautifully crafted bach".
Calley Homes Limited was announced the supreme winner at the Bay of Plenty Central Plateau Registered Master Builders 2018 House of the Year competition at Taupō's Wairakei Resort on Friday night.
The company also got a gold award and category win for the Master Build 10-Year Guarantee Renovation up to $500,000 award for its renovation in Tauranga.
Judges said the winning renovation was a humble home transformed into a beautifully crafted bach that took full advantage of its waterside location.
"This home has been transformed into a fabulous harbourside home that takes the form of a seaside bach, giving it a nautical look and feel," judges said.
"Being on a cross-lease property meant that the home had major restrictions imposed on the footprint.
"The renovation included the removal of the existing roof and replacement of a new monopitched flying cantilevered roof system.
"The builder has produced an outstanding renovation."
The Bay of Plenty Central Plateau Registered Master Builders 2018 Supreme House of the Year went to Taupō company The Craftsmen Limited, which won several awards.
Their haul included a gold award and category win for the Carters New Home $1 million-$2 million award for a Taupō, home, and the craftsmanship, interior design, kitchen and outdoor living awards.
Judges said the House of the Year was a beautifully built home.
"This cedar clad house is a contemporary version of two opposing skillion roofs, which are offset to bring light into the interior of the home.
"A central kitchen anchors the heart of the home, featuring beautifully crafted built-in plywood joinery and ceilings. The well-furnished living areas provide views across to the reserve, lake and mountains beyond.
"The outdoor spaces feature naturally heated pools and a well-planned landscape. These consider views and circulation around the site while integrating seamlessly with the interior. Congratulations to the team at The Craftsmen Limited for this outstanding achievement."
There were 18 Gold Award winners from the Bay of Plenty Central Plateau region, which will now be judged against gold award winners from around the country to find the National Gold Reserve finalists.
National winners will be announced at a gala dinner on November 24 at the Cordis Hotel in Auckland.
Bay of Plenty Central Plateau Registered Master Builders 2018 House of the Year Awards
- Supreme Award and House of the Year: The Craftsmen Limited.
- Supreme Award and Renovation of the Year: Calley Homes Limited.
- New home over $2 million: Edinbridge Resources Limited.
- Carters New Home $1 million-$2 million: The Craftsmen Limited, gold and category; Todd Grey Builders Ltd, gold; Gudsell Designer Homes Ltd, gold.
- Nulook New Home $700,000 - $1 million: Shawn Williamson Building Ltd, silver; Harwood Homes NZ Ltd, silver.
- New Home $550,000-$700,000: Ninety Degrees Limited, gold and category; Penny Homes Ltd, silver; Urbo Homes Ltd, silver; Design Builders (Taupo) Ltd, silver; Harwood Homes NZ Limited, silver.
- PlaceMakers New Home - $450,000-$550,000: Design Builders (Taupo) Limited, gold and category; Harwood Homes NZ Limited, gold; John Klein Builders Ltd, silver.
- Resene New Home up to $450,000: Penny Homes Limited, gold and category; Kuriger Builders Tauranga Ltd, gold; Beachtree Building Limited, gold; Navigation Homes Central Plateau, gold.
- Bunnings Renovation $500,000-$1 million: Klein Builders Limited, gold and category; GIB Show Home Award:Landmark Homes Taupo, Rotorua, Whakatane, gold and category, Harwood Homes NZ Ltd, gold; Fowler Homes, silver; Mauao Residential Ltd, silver; Versatile Tauranga, silver.
- Volume/Group Housing New Home $450,000-$700,000: Urbo Homes Limited, gold and category; Oceanside Homes, silver; Design Builders (Taupo,) Ltd, silver; Fowler Homes, silver.
- Master Build 10-year Guarantee Renovation up to $500,000: Calley Homes Ltd, gold and category: Kuriger Builders Tauranga Ltd, gold.
- Lifestyle Awards: Craftsmanship Award: The Craftsmen Limited
- Heart of the Homes Kitchen Award: The Craftsmen Limited
- Plumbing World Bathroom Excellence Award: Gudsell Designer Homes Ltd; Outdoor Living Award: The Craftsmen Limited
- Interior Design Award: The Craftsmen Ltd.