A man has been taken to Tauranga Hospital following a "fumes" incident in Te Puke.

Police and firefighters were called to the scene at Station Rd about 11.10am and the street is currently blocked off.

A police media spokeswoman said it appeared a man passed out due to "some fumes".

St John ambulance paramedics treated the man and were taking him to hospital in a serious to moderate condition, she said.

Advertisement
A man has been taken to Tauranga Hospital following a
A man has been taken to Tauranga Hospital following a "fumes" incident in Te Puke. Photo/Hannah

The spokeswoman said WorkSafe New Zealand had been notified and people were being stopped from entering the area, for now.

"We are awaiting for the scene to be declared safe."

A reporter at the scene said about 500m of the road was blocked off from Jocelyn St.