Police: 2-year-old dies after ingesting grandma's methadone

CLEVELAND (AP) " Police say a 2-year-old Ohio boy has died from ingesting the opiate treatment drug methadone, and his grandmother has been charged with felony child endangering.

Police say Noah Harvey's mother found him unconscious Monday at the Cleveland home they shared with the grandmother, 45-year-old Norma Caraballo. Police say Noah tested positive for methadone at the hospital where he was pronounced dead Monday night.

A police report says Caraballo is a recovering heroin addict who takes methadone daily.

The report says the child's mother came home for lunch midday Monday and found Noah "sad and clingy" and asking her to stay home. The report says she discovered her son unconscious when she checked on him around 10 p.m. Monday.

Court records don't indicate whether Caraballo has an attorney.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 23 May 2017 08:14:03 Processing Time: 327ms