Boy's death in choking 'game' sparks warnings

The Brisbane boy was a keen cricket and AFL player. Photo / via Facebook
The Brisbane boy was a keen cricket and AFL player. Photo / via Facebook

The death of a 13-year-old Brisbane boy in a choking "game" has sparked warnings for parents to educate their children about the dangers of the online craze.

The principal of the boy's north Brisbane Catholic school, which has not been named at his parents' request, broke news of the boy's death in an email on Monday that urged parents to monitor their children's online behaviour.

Federation of Parents and Friends Association of Catholic Schools in Queensland executive director Carmel Nash said parents needed to be aware of the game, which involves children being dared to allow themselves to be choked unconscious.

"They are kids, they are not aware of the dangers and the consequences, and it really is the parents' job to talk to kids about it and for schools to make sure they are making parents aware," she told the Courier Mail.

The boy was a keen cricket and AFL player and his clubs have paid tribute to him in a Facebook post.

"(He) was a talented left-arm bowler, sharp fielder and hard-hitting batsman. A team player who embraced the true spirit of friendship and cricket," one club wrote.

- AAP

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 01 May 2017 13:26:37 Processing Time: 667ms