The Latest: Prosecutor: boy's parents turned grief to hope

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) " The Latest on sentencing for the Minnesota man who confessed to assaulting, killing Jacob Wetterling in 1989 (all times local):

2:45 p.m.

Minnesota's chief federal prosecutor is urging other people to draw on the example set by the parents of 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling, whose kidnapping remained unsolved for 27 years until this summer.

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich led authorities to Jacob's remains. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge him with murder. Under a plea bargain, Heinrich was sentenced to 20 years in prison on Monday.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger said in a statement afterward that Patty and Jerry Wetterling transformed their grief into hope, dedicating their lives to helping other parents of missing children bring their kids home.

Luger notes that the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children last year received more than 4 million online tips of suspected child sexual exploitation. He says no concern is too small to report.

___

Online:

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children takes tips at 1-800-THE-LOST and http://www.missingkids.com .

___

12:30 p.m.

The mother of 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling tells her son's killer he didn't need to hurt him.

Patty Wetterling and other members of her family spoke in federal court in Minneapolis on Monday before 53-year-old Danny Heinrich was sentenced to 20 years in prison under a plea bargain. He led authorities this summer to where he buried Jacob's remains 27 years ago after kidnapping, sexually assaulting and killing the St. Joseph boy.

When he confessed in court in September, Heinrich quoted a handcuffed Jacob as saying, "What did I do wrong?"

Patty Wettterling told Heinrich that Jacob "did nothing wrong. He just wanted to go home."

She told her son's killer she won't "waste a minute of time" thinking about him "from this day forward."

___

11:45 p.m.

A Minnesota man who kidnapped, sexually assaulted and killed 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago says he's "truly sorry" for his "evil acts."

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich led authorities to Jacob's remains this summer as part of a plea bargain. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge him with murder.

Standing in federal court on Monday, the Annandale man admitted he had committed a heinous and unforgivable act, and apologized to the Wetterling family for what he took away from them.

U.S. District John Tunheim sentenced Heinrich to 20 years in prison, the maximum allowed on the child porn count, but said he doubts society will ever let Heinrich go free.

Authorities can seek to have Heinrich civilly committed as a dangerous sex offender when he completes his prison sentence.

___

11:15 a.m.

A Minnesota man who recently confessed to abducting, sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago has been sentenced to 20 years in prison on a child pornography charge.

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich led authorities to Jacob's remains this summer as part of a plea bargain that ended a mystery that had haunted Minnesota for nearly three decades. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge Heinrich with murder.

The 20-year sentence handed down Monday by U.S. District Judge John Tunheim is the maximum the law allows on the single child pornography count.

Jacob was abducted near his home in the central Minnesota community of St. Joseph on Oct. 22, 1989. Heinrich was arrested on child pornography charges last year but kept Jacob's fate secret until this summer.

____

12:51 a.m.

A Minnesota man who recently confessed to abducting, sexually assaulting and killing 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling 27 years ago is due to be sentenced on a child pornography charge.

Fifty-three-year-old Danny Heinrich is due in federal court Monday morning.

He led authorities to Jacob's remains this summer as part of a plea bargain that ended a mystery that had haunted Minnesota for nearly three decades. In return, prosecutors agreed not to charge Heinrich with murder.

The plea bargain calls for a sentence of 20 years, the maximum the law allows on the child pornography count.

Jacob was abducted near his home in the central Minnesota community of St. Joseph on Oct. 22, 1989.

Heinrich was arrested on child pornography charges last year but kept Jacob's fate secret until this summer.

___

Editors: Corrects the name of the judge in second item to John Tunheim.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 10 Dec 2016 01:56:49 Processing Time: 657ms