Man who killed rape suspect is found guilty of manslaughter

GOSHEN, N.Y. (AP) " A man who fatally shot a rape suspect he was trying to turn in to police was found guilty of manslaughter on Monday.

David Carlson claimed he fired his gun in self-defense in October 2013 as he held Norris Acosta-Sanchez at gunpoint so a neighbor could call police. Acosta-Sanchez had been charged in Rockland County with statutory rape of a teenage girl and had been staying at a summer cabin by Carlson's home near the Pennsylvania border.

Carlson, 46, was found guilty of first-degree manslaughter by a jury in neighboring Orange County after more than seven days of deliberations. He faces a maximum of 25years in prison when he is sentenced in January.

While Carlson's supporters say he's more a victim than a vigilante, prosecutors said he was the aggressor.

"Justice was done," Acosta-Sanchez's relative Charles Nieves told the Middletown Times Herald-Record after the verdict.

Carlson had been trying to help police catch Acosta-Sanchez in the days leading up the shooting. Acosta-Sanchez had fled police after they let him go back to the cabin he was staying in to get his wallet.

Defense lawyers said Acosta-Sanchez showed up at Carlson's home before the shooting.

They said Carlson came out with his shotgun, and the two men began walking to a neighbor's house so Carlson could call police.

Carlson was remanded to county jail on bail of $500,000 bond or $250,000 cash.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 06 Dec 2016 09:22:46 Processing Time: 519ms