Man arrested before Paris attacks admits smuggling weapons

BERLIN (AP) " A Montenegrin man has admitted smuggling firearms and explosives into Germany days before last year's attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

German prosecutors allege the 51-year-old who was caught near the Austrian-German border must have known from the type and number of weapons that they would be used for an attack. But the Munich regional court has said there isn't sufficient evidence to prove that claim.

Germany informed France that the man's satnav device contained an address in Paris before the Nov. 13 attacks.

A lawyer for the man told the court Friday his client wasn't aware of the purpose of the weapons. The court had offered him a sentence of 3 years-4 years if he pleaded guilty to weapons smuggling.

A verdict is expected next week.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 22 Oct 2016 06:10:56 Processing Time: 384ms