Teen hospitalized after air freshener causes car explosion

BERLIN (AP) " A German teenager has suffered serious injuries after accidentally creating an explosion in the family car with air freshener.

Police in the western city of Duisburg say the 17-year-old boy had been trying Wednesday to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke in a recently purchased secondhand Volkswagen SUV.

They say the teen sprayed so much air freshener inside the vehicle that it turned into a "combustible gas mixture." The gas ignited when he opened the passenger door and a light switched on.

Police said in a statement Thursday that the force of the explosion blew out the vehicle's large glass sunroof.

The unidentified teen was hospitalized with burns to both arms.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 23 Oct 2016 09:16:50 Processing Time: 384ms