Jury can't decide sanity of German who set Los Angeles fires

LOS ANGELES (AP) " A judge declared a mistrial Friday over whether a German man was sane when he set dozens of fires across Los Angeles during three nights of terror nearly five years ago.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge George Lomeli declared the mistrial after jurors deadlocked in the sanity phase of Harry Burkhart's trial.

The same jury previously found the former Frankfurt resident guilty of nearly 50 arson counts for fires he set around New Year's 2012.

Burkhart, 29, made good on threats to "roast America" to avenge his mother's extradition to Germany on fraud charges, a prosecutor said.

He placed fire-starting devices under cars in Hollywood, the San Fernando Valley and West Hollywood on three nights between Dec. 30, 2011, and Jan. 2, 2012, authorities said. Some vehicles were in carports and in 19 cases the fires spread to homes and apartments.

No one was seriously injured during the fires that caused an estimated $3 million in damage, but the blazes ignited widespread fear.

Defense attorney Steve Schoenfield argued that Burkhart was seriously mentally ill and asked jurors to find him insane. He said medical records from doctors in Germany had documented mental illness symptoms over many years.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf04 at 29 Sep 2016 08:48:28 Processing Time: 447ms