Cologne authorities plan secure zone this New Year's Eve

BERLIN (AP) " Cologne authorities say they're planning to fence off a large area around the city's famous cathedral this New Year's Eve as part of stepped-up security precautions aimed at preventing a repeat of last year's attacks.

Mayor Henriette Reker said Wednesday that entry into the secure zone would only be through checkpoints, and no fireworks would be allowed, the dpa news agency reported.

In addition, police chief Juergen Mathies said there would be a strongly increased police presence both in the secure area and elsewhere in downtown Cologne.

It was outside the cathedral and by the nearby train station that most of the string of robberies and sexual assaults occurred last New Year's, blamed largely on foreign men.

That sparked a debate about immigration in Germany.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 25 Oct 2016 07:39:54 Processing Time: 471ms